Sunday, August 5, 2012

Quilt Club Cookies


I can't believe how long it's been since I posted.  I've been trying out some new projects, thinking about finishing others, and keeping busy with stitching.

I spent yesterday at Sweet Lavender with a fun group that is making the Yoko Mystery Quilt.  Well, sort of.  Vicky and Melinda were working on the mystery blocks, Suzie was embroidering an alphabet quilt block, Larae had a reverse applique project, Stephanie is making thousands of tiny french knots on a miniature, Sandy was doing punch needle, Carrie embellished a wool notebook cover, I didn't see what Rhonda brought, I was stitching on hexagons and Kay just came for lunch.

Speaking of lunch...... it was my turn and I made a chicken pasta salad and the very best cookies.  Everyone asked me for the recipe so here it is.  The cookies started out with a different name but I'm calling them Quilt Club Cookies because that is where I first tasted them.  Believe me, everyone loves them.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup soft butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cut water
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups uncooked regular oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup each Craisins, coconut, dried fruit (I like to use dried pineapple and dried mango, diced) golden raisins, regular raisins
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup nuts - I use slivered almonds or whatever is in the cupboard

I'm going to confess that you won't find everything measured into pretty little bowls before mixing in my kitchen.  I'm usually doing about 10 different things at once so this is how I make them and they turn out great.
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugars together.  Turn the mixer to "low" and just start adding everything else until its all in the bowl and mixed together.
 
Spray a cookie sheet lightly, then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop dough onto sheet, flattening slightly.   Leave plenty of room between the cookies as they spread out while cooking.  Bake 10-12 minutes, baking just until they are slightly browned on the outside edge.  Remove from oven and quickly push the edges in with the back of a spoon towards the center.  They may look a bit doughy in the center but as they cool they will firm up.  Leave on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes until firm. 

I guarantee they will go fast so hide a few in the freezer just for you.

I had a wonderful time yesterday and am so grateful these talented women have so graciously adopted me into their group.  I enjoy seeing all their projects and learning from each of them.  Maybe next time I will be organized enough to take their pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts