Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Little Bit Different

I love applique!  Especially wool applique with embellishment.  But, I am fascinated by the Australian style of quilts.  I have practically worn out the pages of Quilt Mania magazine featuring the Australian quilt show.  So, it's really no surprise that while browsing the Material Obsession web site I signed up for the Urban Owls Block of the Month designed by Wendy Williams.

This is month 1 and 2 and let me tell you, I can't wait to receive month 3!  I am almost breathless when I rip open the envelope and see the beautiful colors awaiting me.  I struggle with piecing.  When I see the "experts" on TV their pieces always line up perfectly.  Not so much in my sewing room.  This quilt is going to be a challenge for me as there is a lot of piecing. 

I added a bit of embellishment to the flowers, leaves and owls just for fun. I didn't follow the pattern instructions to applique with pearl cotton in a running stitch.  I used my regular method of using wool thread and a whip stitch to applique down the pieces then embellished with cotton and silk threads.   I was surprised that wool felt, rather than felted wool (my favorite) was included in the kit.  But, I'm doing this to learn a new style so I used the felt.  I must say that it's not my favorite but still gives a nice, but different,  look.



This is what the finished quilt looks like. See what I mean about the piecing?

URBAN OWLS By Wendy Williams

3 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful colors!!!! But a lot of piecing!!!!!!!!!!Bon courage;

    ReplyDelete
  2. That outlined star - love it. Don't want to have to even think of figuring it out just now -

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you know if this pattern is offered separately? beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts