Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer

45 years ago my boyfriend, who is now my husband, took me for a ride in the mountains and told me he would like to have a cabin "someday".  A year later we married and there were many things that took priority over a cabin, but we never forgot the dream.  It only took 40 years of planning and saving to finally realize the dream and now we spend most of the summer here, high in the Utah mountains.

I told my husband that it was my turn to fill the back of the truck with my stuff and I brought my "better" sewing maching and projects that have been waiting for me these past months.  First up is a new summer purse.

 On the way to Quilt Market in Portland last month, we stopped at the Fabric Depot where I found this great Home Dec fabric.  I used my Lolly Purse pattern for all the dimensions. To make the front pocket, I fussy cut this flower motif and bordered it with an Echino dot fabric.  Strips at the top and bottom of the pocket are Diamond Textiles cotton embossed dots. Bullion Knots were stitched around the flower using Midsummer Vineyard Silken Pearl.


One large flower was fussy cut to center on the back of the purse.  The lining is the Diamond Textile dots and pockets are the Echino dots.

Are these handles just too cute?  Purple leather with leaves - perfect!  The leaves were pre-punched which made stitching them on easy with Wild Violets Silken Pearl. 

Today I'm going to work on  blocks for the Urban Owls Block of the Month from Material Obsession.  I'm quite intimidated as this looks like complicated piecing.  I'm always fascinated with the Australian quilts I see in Quilt Mania and love the many colors and varying prints used in their quilts.   I signed up for this BOM last year to learn these techniques and because I'm afraid of the piecing, there are 6 months of kits calling my name.  Today is the day to get started.

1 comment:

  1. It took me a good 48 years to finally end up owning horses. But some things are worth the wait, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts