Thursday, August 8, 2013

Urban Owls BOM Finished!

I check out the Material Obsessions blog quite often and last year saw a notice about sign-ups for BOM projects.  Oh my, it was difficult to choose between all the offerings but Urban Owls kept calling my name.  Get it?  I heard the owl call my name?  OK, on with the story.  The BOM program began last August, which means I received my first kit here in the USA about mid-September.  It was a 10 month program so I finished just a little bit late.

I'm not at home in my "real" sewing room so I took this pic with my phone and the quilt on the floor.  When I get back home I'll give it a good press with my "real" iron, clean off the loose threads, and rush it to my favorite quilter, Cindy Paulson, for her magic touch.



I've been quite fascinated with the colors, combination of prints, and multitude of block designs in Australian quilts which is what draws me to the Material Obsession blog and store website.  I knew the easiest way to learn their techniques was with a block-of-the-month, using the fabrics they sent me.  Did I learn a lot?  Absolutely yes!

I was quite surprised to rip open the first kit (I don't wait to get home - they are opened in the post office) and find FELT, not felted wool.  I almost switched it out for wool but remembered, this was a learning experience.  I learned that I don't think much of the felt. Sorry, but there it is.  It is stiff, harder to needle through, and I'm going to say it - in my opinion, it looks cheap.  Don't hate me if you love felt, we all have our favorites. The embellishment was not called for in the instructions but I couldn't resist dressing up the felt.


I do like the fussy cut eyes - the fabric included in the kit was perfect.  I used a combination of Silken Pearl and Pearl Cotton for the embellishment stitches.  That is a woven picot beak over the appliqued felt beak.


 I added a few bullions and pistil stitches on the leaves with a rayon thread.  Rayon isn't my favorite but the color was right and it had a bit of sparkle that looks nice in this center panel.

Bullion Stitches add some dimension to the ultra-flat felt on the cat's tail.
 Pieced blocks have felt centers that begged to be dressed up.
 I might have been a bit carried away with this one.  It was my new Jelly Beans Silken Pearl thread that kept me stitching.
There were many challenges for me on this quilt which means that it was exactly what I wanted - a project to help me learn new skills.  The colors are amazing and I would have never mixed them together on my own and piecing is always a challenge for me.  Although I've been quilting and stitching for many years, I still like a challenge.

Now that this one is completed, I'm excited to get working on my next challenge, Basket Case by Chris Jurd which was included in Quilt Mania over a year ago.  Since opening the magazine, I couldn't quit thinking about it so I guess I have to make it.  Oh no......... more foundation piecing, but I've collected some incredible fabrics.


You can find Chris' amazing patterns in her Etsy Shop.

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt but I would have switched the felt for wool too...I'm not a fan of felt at all..
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even had every color to match the felt in wool. Oh well, I can say one good thing about the felt - the embellishment stitches really show on that flat surface.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the quilt you made and I agree about the felt. But the result is amazing. And I also saw the basketquilt. I never did paperpiecing........I am a bit afraid to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper foundation piecing really isn't that hard once you get your routine going and those perfect points are wonderful to see. I set my ironing board next to my machine with a little cutting board on top and a piece of heavy paper for folding. Then I fold, sew, iron and trim without getting up. Try it - you can do it.

      Delete
  3. This quilt makes me smile. It looks like happiness and life's path to me. I've enjoyed crossing it's path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you quilted this yet? I'm about to start quilting one of these and was looking for ideas. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Urban Owls machine quilted. My machine quilter added a lot of quilting on the pieced blocks as well as the applique.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kerry,
    Was it not wool felt? I am surprised as that is what Wendy likes to use. I own a shop in New Zealand (The Apple Basket) and I stock 100% wool felt that is 1mm in thickness and it is a dream to work with, the needle goes through it like butter. We have the wool felt on our website applebasketquilts.co.nz

    We had Wendy Williams teach in our store at the beginning of February, such a wonderful woman, very creative and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was wool felt that was sent to me. I know this product is very popular in Australia and New Zealand but most of us in the USA prefer felted wool. It is much more flexible and provides more texture than the felt as it is not stiff.

      Delete

Popular Posts