Sunday, September 22, 2013

Memories

A few weeks ago I told you about my hand-me-down bed from my nephew and the quilt that fit perfectly.  With a few minutes of free time, the hunt was on for more quilts to cover the bare walls. Finding just the right quilt in my closet turned into a trip down memory lane.

This is a design by Blackbird Designs that I made many years ago. When I first saw the pattern my eye was caught by the waving flag which is so different from the straight flags more commonly seen and I really love the basket design.  The original pattern had 3 eagles across the bottom block, but I substituted one grand bald eagle drawn by my friend, Debra Hale.  I love to do needle-turn applique and this was a joy to make.

Really, isn't this flag special?


This next quilt is one of Buggy Barn's "crazy" designs.  I'm either too crazy or not crazy enough to enjoy this technique, but I love the finished quilt, especially the fabric used for some of the flags.  It's not easy to see in this photo but it is a red/white stripe with a beautiful little floral design.  I just wish there would have been enough for all the flags.

This pillow was lovingly hand embroidered and given to me as a birthday gift by another good friend, Sue Olson.  How lucky am I to have such talented and generous friends?

And then there is the memory of my dad, Jack Rose, only 18 years old in this photo wearing his Army uniform and recently drafted to serve in World War II - and the flag that draped his casket over 30 years ago.

So many memories in this small room.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts