Friday, November 1, 2013

Quilt Market in Houston, TX


Last week I attended the International Quilt Market in Houston, TX to help my friend, Norma Whaley, in her booth.  Norma is the creator of all the Timeless Traditions Quilts patterns, a selection of beautiful wool and cotton applique for all seasons and traditional pieced quilts.  Our trip to Houston was met with a few problems, first a 2 1/2 hour delay added to the 2 hour layover in Denver and then a 2 hour drive to our hotel due to traffic problems.  On Friday, we set up the booth and then went shopping in Spring, Tx.

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday found us at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston along with hundreds of booths selling everything connected to quilting.  Since Norma and I were joined by our friend, Julie Wardell, we each had a chance to leave Norma's booth for a bit of shopping and exploring on our own.

 I was really excited to see that Hobby & Land was just 2 aisles away from us.  Hobby & Land sells all types of accessories for purse making and this year they had patterns for the most amazing bags.  Yes, I ordered several patterns and can't wait for them to arrive.  The people in the booth are from Korea and are so kind and helpful. 
 Here are Amy and her Mom standing in front of the handle display.  Amy speaks very good English and was able to translate to her Mom how much I love all the designs.  Mom has designed many of the bags and was busy with her applique in the booth.

 Isn't this the cutest idea for a key holder?  There is a zipper on the side where you stash the keys you're not using.  I ordered the pattern, ring and the cute little locks.

Of course, I couldn't resist buying the clasp and pattern for this small purse.  The flower is made from brushed cotton.

I stopped by the Aurifil booth and was so excited to discover the person I was speaking with was Elly, my sales rep from Italy.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone to take her photo but take my word for it, she is beautiful. It is so much fun to meet people that I've talked to over the phone or in emails.  We are like old friends and now I know who I'm actually talking to on the other end of the line. 

Norma was very successful and we had a great time but were happy to get back home to our own beds and comfy sewing chairs.  I'm thinking that I would like to go back to Houston next October for Quilt Festival which is held just a few days after the Market.  Festival is HUGE and everything is for sale - retail.  Start saving your money and meet me there next year.

2 comments:

  1. All those bags are great, i would love to visit Houston , but it is so far away for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sneak peek! Bags are adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts