Monday, December 23, 2013

The Myth of Scraps

 I don't have a "stash".  Well, not like some of my friends have.  My stash is some wool and one small tote of some special fabric and another small tote of Kaffe Fasset prints.  You see, a stash makes me nervous - it calls to me and makes me feel guilty that I'm not using it.  I also like to have a tidy sewing room.

So, since I admire my friends that make scrap quilts I decided to try it.  I had this box of Kaffe fabrics leftover from my bright Acorn's Promise quilt.  Gee, when I bought those I really thought I would use them all up in Acorn's Promise, but no, there was still a full box when the quilt was finished.


In an effort to avoid feeling guilty, I decided to make some hexagon blocks.  Surely, that would use up the scraps!  Wrong again, even after the hexies and cutting out borders that pile of fabric is the same size.


And my room is a mess.
I'm going to try using them up again with an amazing pattern by Chris Jurd of Patchwork Fundamentals.  If I still have this box full when the quilt is finished, I'm thinking of giving it all away.  After all, if I make every quilt out of the same box of fabric, they will all look the same! 

I worked hard the past few days and cut out all the pieces for the side borders of the hexie quilt and am quite excited to get them appliqued and then do the top and bottom.  Someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, I will show it to you.


5 comments:

  1. Yep - that is the problem with scraps - they never seem to disappear! Love the projects you're making with the leftovers - and I would NOT call your sewing room messy (you should see MINE!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't have a problem giving away fabric I don't want. Another reason to buy more!

      Delete
  2. And you should see mine...... Fabric everywhere and patterns and yarn and , and... Love the trees and i will google for the other pattern. Wish you amerry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baukje, I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas and an inspiring, creative New Year. My Acorn's Promise pattern is in my Etsy Shop at www.kerrystitchdesigns.etsy.com but remember, it won't use up all your scraps.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing isn't it? I decided that I was going to use up what I thought was a tiny amount of Christmas fabric scraps that I had that were left over from making a yo-yo garland for our tree (these were scraps of scraps, the fabric I had done the yo-yos with were all left overs from a few projects my SIL had done.) I've made two good sized Christmas buntings and one and a half stockings and have not depleted them. That tree quilt is gorgeous, btw!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts