Monday, January 20, 2014

A Quiet Mountain Weekend

I live in the Salt Lake valley where we are sometimes subject to winter temperature inversions.  This means the surrounding mountains trap the cold air in the valley, which fills up with pollution, resulting in stinking, choking, yuck.  Lucky for us, we escaped to our cabin in the mountains which has clean air and is actually warmer than the valley.  I know, crazy but true.

Although we haven't had much snow this winter, we can't drive all the way to our cabin.  We have a parking area just off the paved road where everything is transferred to a sled pulled behind a snowmobile.  Mickey, our Springer Spaniel is quite nervous so we put a hard-sided crate in the sled for him and Juno, the adventurous Border Collie rode on my husband's lap.  It only takes about 5 minutes from the parking lot to the cabin, then we get busy turning on the water and making a fire in the stove.



On Saturday we went for a ride with our friends and then enjoyed the afternoon sun.

 I brought a book and 2 sewing projects to work on.  Here it is Monday, and I haven't lifted a needle yet.  The sewing projects travelled in my new sewing kit that I purchased from Material Obsessions, another great design by Wendy Williams.




The kit included this handy bag and felt to embellish the outside.  I'm not a huge fan of felt, preferring to work with felted wool.  But the felt costs less and since I'm going to use this bag everyday, I thought the felt would be fine - which it is.  Using my regular applique method, I cut out all the applique pieces and sewed them in place with my Aurifil wool threads using a whip stitch.  All of the embellishment was done with pearl cottons, both Valdani and Painter's Threads in size 8.  I kept the embellishment simple with straight stitches and lots of colonial knots.  When the embellishment was finished I used a Painter's Thread to whip stitch the felt to the bag.

I probably paid too much for the kit but you know how it is when you want something.  This idea would work on any bag with either felt or felted wool.  I don't know what kind of felt it is but it feels like a higher quality than what I've seen in craft stores.  Some of my local quilt stores have felt that may be better.  So even if the kit costs too much, I didn't have to search for just the right bag or buy more than I need of all the right colors of felt.  Yep, that's my justification story and I'm sticking to it!  At least I already had the embellishment threads.


We had planned to go back home today but this sunrise brought the promise of another beautiful day. I think today will include a walk, finish the book and get started on a new project.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely project. Jealous of your cabin with clear air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel so guilty that I have such a lovely place I don't say much about it. I'm much more comfortable sharing my stitching.

      Delete

Popular Posts