Saturday, January 4, 2014

Time - Jar -Rocks - Water




I often hear my friends wish for more time to stitch, which goes along with the statement that they will never live long enough to finish all their projects.  I think we all feel this way sometimes  - that there just isn't enough time.

A few weeks ago I received an email from Ben Behunin with an invitation to visit his home and pottery studio in Salt Lake City.  Knowing my husband would enjoy this experience too, we invited our friends, Roger and Marsha to tag along with us.  

Wow!

That was our unanimous response to the beautiful home, filled with Ben's tiles, his amazing studio and pottery.  Ben is also an author and I bought his new book, Put A Cherry On Top, the secrets of creating an artful life.

I love to read but usually devote my time to murder mysteries, and waiting for the next Longmire (my make-believe boyfriend) book to be released.  I never pick up a book on self improvement even though I probably should.  I scanned through Put A Cherry On Top while touring Ben's home, then put it back on the stack.  While in the studio I picked it up again and finally bought it, along with some hand-made tiles.

Are you now wondering if I've totally lost it?  How does this relate to Time - Jar - Rocks and Water?  In the book is an object lesson that reads if you fill a jar with rocks, it looks full - but there is still room for sand - and when it is full to the top with sand, you can still pour in some water.  But, if you fill the jar with water first, nothing else will fit.

From an early age I was told that my chores (water) had to be finished before I could play (rocks).  It was a good lesson and made me a very productive adult.  Unfortunately, it didn't leave me much time for creativity or day dreaming.  It seems like there are just too many chores. Here's the question I asked myself:  Do all the chores have to be done every day?  Can I wait until tomorrow to buy groceries and clean the house? After reading Ben's book my answer is YES!!!

I'm changing my "rocks" this year to stitching, reading, time with friends, daydreaming and creating.  My bet is that I will still find time to buy groceries and clean, but after I do the things I enjoy.

If you would like to begin on a creative journey Ben's book is very inspiring and is available on Amazon.  You can see more about Ben on his website at http://www.potterboy.com/ and if you are close to Salt Lake City don't miss a chance to visit his home and studio.


1 comment:

  1. I bought a small piece of Ben's pottery in Park City many years ago - and I read his trilogy. Didn't realize he had a new book out. Is his home open for ANYONE to visit? Sounds like a great outing!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts