Monday, March 24, 2014

Home From Retreat and Monkey Business

Last Monday I left home in a snowstorm (that's Spring in Utah) for the short drive to the Zermatt Resort in Midway which is just over the mountain from my home.  Of course, I can't just go "over" the mountain, but had to drive "around" the mountain, including through a brief blizzard. It was well worth the white knuckle drive to spend time with friends at this beautiful resort.

This annual retreat is sponsored by American Quilting and is a real highlight for everyone there.  Amy and her staff work countless hours to make certain we all have a great time.  We start out choosing our own personal sewing table in this beautiful room which is available 24 hours a day for the die-hard stitchers.  My latest evening was 11:00 p.m. as I was determined to reach my goal.

There is plenty of room for all our "stuff" and see those black curtains at the back of the room?  The classes are held right behind the curtain so we don't even need to pack up for class.  I taught the Bee Sweet Scissor Pull which was a perfect little project which most students finished in class.

After teaching I got busy with my own sewing projects.  I took a box of strips to sew into chevron strips that ended up 88" long - 8 of them.  Piecing is kind of like work to me and having 2 days of uninterrupted sewing time was just what I needed to get going on this project.  Someday, I will share the finished quilt.

When the strips were finished I put my sewing machine away and started to applique this cute bunny pillow designed by my friend, Norma Whaley.  Norma is a very talented designer and you can find her patterns Here.  This is my table with my bucket full of supplies, 2 coffee cups and a diet coke (to keep up my energy) and an unfinished sock monkey.

On the last day of retreat I took a sock monkey class.  Mary Lou taught the class and did a great job.  She had the most darling monkeys to show us, lots of socks to buy, and a kit that contained everything we needed.  These Sock Monkeys just make me smile and I've wanted to take a class at the past 2 retreats but always had a conflict with my own teaching.

Now this is my first one and he has a few problems.  The end of his tail looks like it got caught in a door, he has a bit of cellulite from uneven stuffing and those eyelashes give him kind of a drag-queen look.  I smile every time I look at him!




1 comment:

Popular Posts