Monday, May 26, 2014

Return From Quilt Market

Last week I traveled to Spring Quilt Market with my friend, Norma Whaley, the designer behind all the beautiful quilts at Timeless Traditions Quilts along with Norma's sister-in-law, Brenda.  This first pic gives you an idea of what greeted us at the convention center when we arrived to set up Norma's booth.  Believe me, this little pile is nothing compared to the large shipping crates that blocked our way.

Thankfully, Norma has invested in a nice foam floor which goes down first, then the drapes and we start hanging quilts.

Ready for customers.

We take turns to see the other booths and do a "bit" of shopping.  On the left is Jane from Threadnuts and her lovely assistant whose name I didn't catch.  It's a delight to do business with Jane and she tempted me with more new Painter's Threads.  I can't even begin to describe the colors!



Jen Kingwell's quilts are the pieced designs and colors that I love.



 These quilts are made from silk and I visited them countless times.  My photos don't do them justice.  I'm trying to think of a new project just so I can buy the silk.

Are you familiar with the saying, "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear"?  This purse definitely didn't come from a pig's ear or any other part!  Small machine embroidery stitches cover the seam lines but what I found amazing was that the main design elements are all beads.  I see a beading book in my near future.
 
 Directly across the aisle from us was Blackberry Primitives with their collection of hand-dyed wool.  Talk about temptation - yes, I gave in.

 When Market closed we packed up the booth and drove to Stowe, Ohio to visit Norma's children for a few days.  Abbie, Chad, Ben and Erin were gracious hosts and we had a lovely visit.  Norma and I spent one day driving through Amish country.  As you can see from the above photo, the countryside is very green and lush with beautiful farms.
This sign reads, "Please Use Hitching Rail".  We saw many Amish in their carriages and parking lots have separate areas with hitching rails to tie up the horses.

Now I have a secret - while at market I purchased supplies for a new project.  I will make it this week and share with you soon, and I will have kits available too.  Here's a hint: it includes wool and embellishment - surprised?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts