Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Colors To Dye For

The phone rings:  Hi, what are you doing?
Me:  I'm dying

Geez, don't panic!  I'm fine!  I'm dying wool, and talking on the phone.

I get a lot of questions about dying wool as it seems many of you are interested in giving it a try.  And, why wouldn't you be?  Frankly, I can't believe the price of high quality, hand-dyed wool.  A quick trip through the internet shows prices upwards of $80.00 a yard.  I don't know about you but that kills my budget.  You can expect to save about 75% by dying your own which means hand dyed wool is not that much more than today's cotton prices.


For any of you that are interested in dying your own, I've written, "Colors to Dye For, A Guide to Hand-Dying Wool" that is now available for $15.00 in my Etsy Shop, just click HERE.

My guide includes sources for purchasing high quality wool and dyes along with a step-by-step description of my quick method and recipes for 20 colors.  

Did I say "quick" method?  Yes I did.  If you follow my set up, which takes about 3 minutes, you can expect to dye about 4 colors an hour.  I'm not telling a fib here - last time I dyed 20 yards it took just a little over 5 hours and there might have been a coffee or bathroom break included.

One of my secrets is felting the wool ahead of time in my washing machine to reduce time in the dye bath.  Another tip is that I use my turkey roaster right next to the sink so there isn't any heavy lifting or spilling.

The recipes include a good range of bright, but not neon, colors ranging through yellow, orange, blue, green, pink and purple.  

Here are just a few:




Spend a little, save a lot, and impress all your friends!

p.s.  If you ever have turkey dinner at my house don't worry.  I'll cook it in a different pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts