Sunday, December 28, 2014

Finally - some progress

This year I started late with my Christmas preparations but through daily determination, I finished just in time for the big day.  Both Christmas Eve and Christmas day were filled with family and friends, good food and laughter.

In the midst of holiday preparation, my son and husband carried all my sewing furniture and supplies to the new sewing room and I finished putting things away yesterday.  Later this week I will share photos and have a give-away.  But for now........ some progress on my While The Cat's Away BOM.







 Darn!! I thought these were finished but while looking at the photos I see that in my excitement I forgot to add the Back Stitch on the bottom block.  The leaves on each block were embellished with Bullion Stitches outlining the large leaf and the small inside leaf.  Back Stitch was added about a 1/4" inside the large leaf.  I selected different colors for the leaves on each block to complement the flower.

A variety of stitches and threads were used on the flower centers and I left the inner-most circle free of stitching to give the machine quilter a place to add her quilting.  This quilting in the center will "hold down" the centers so they don't pouf up too much.

The centers are cut from the felt that was included in the kit.  Once it is stitch I think it looks OK but it is much more difficult to stitch through than felted wool.  I will be using felted wool on all of the remaining blocks in this quilt.

In addition to these flower blocks, I've made 8 pieced blocks and also pieced 1 sunburst block that is waiting for applique and embellishment.  Let's not talk about the November block that is still in the envelope - OK?


8 comments:

  1. Great eye candy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is more than I have accomplished. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely selection of blocks you have created here I love all the added hand embroidery you have done on them

    ReplyDelete
  4. How busy you have been, good work and beautiful too. Have a happy New Year Kerry and enjoy your stay with family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely! Can you please tell me where I can obtain the pattern. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a block of the month through Material Obsessions. The BOM program is full but pattern may be available.

      Delete
  6. So beautiful! You are amazing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning--love your stitched embellishments!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts