Tuesday, June 9, 2015

How Long Does It Take?

That's the question that is often asked about making a quilt and it baffles me.  What does it matter?  To me, it isn't the amount of time spent or if I will even finish everything in my lifetime.  What matters is the enjoyment that comes from creating something beautiful.

For years I have had a ready answer to this ridiculous question which is - 10 minutes.  When I see the confused look on their faces I explain - 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, eventually you have a finished project.

All that to explain, or excuse, why I'm probably not going to reach my goal of finishing my Enchantment wallhanging before I leave town on Sunday.  But, I've been spending a lot of time on it and making progress.  

In my garden, the bees seem to favor the plants with purple blooms, zooming from one flower to the next.  This section of Enchantment had a grouping of purple berries and what better way to highlight them than to cover each one with a Bullion Bumble Bee - say that fast 3 times.  The bees and bullion outline were stitched with Silken Pearl #5.

A simple Fly Stitch and Buttonhole outline in Pearl Cotton #8 finish the small leaves.

I think that this is my favorite flower.  When teaching, I'm often asked how I know what stitch and thread to use.  The truth is I don't plan ahead.  There were some blue seed beads in my sewing bucket that I thought would complement the blue wool petals so I started out to mimic seeds in the flower center by stitching on the beads.  Then, I added a piece of Painter's Single Loop trim around the flower center which adds some nice dimension.

Tiny Fly Stitches outline the blue petals with a larger Fly Stitch down the center of each petal in Pearl Cotton #8.

The outside petals were outlined in Pearl Cotton #8 in Crested Chain Stitch.
 

The pink berries are embellished with a Whipped Spider Web topped off with Daisy (detached chain) to create a nice little bloom, and outlined with Back Stitch.  The small leaves are covered with Herringbone Stitch, couched at the thread intersections.  All of these stitches were made with Pearl Cotton #8.

Back to drizzles and bullions now.......

2 comments:

  1. You aren't traveling to Oklahoma by any chance are you? If you are, let me know! Love your latest, as always! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 minutes is a great answer at it makes it seem doable. I need to take that approach and pull out a seemingly daunting project and whittle away at it like that. Good times, not work. 10 minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts