For this block we get to try a new thread from Threadnuts and some fun stitches.
The top and side petals each contain another flower complete with bloom, stem and leaves. Let's start with the circular bloom which is Spiral Trellis Stitch (page 154) using Silken Pearl #5.
- Begin by cutting a circle from freezer paper (1" for the top petal and 3/4" for the side petals) and fold it into quarters. Unfold and press onto the petal.
- Make small Chain Stitches (page 43) close to the outside edge of the paper circle, making certain you have the same number of stitches in each quarter.
- Remove the freezer paper and follow the instructions for Spiral Trellis Stitch, catching only the inside edge of each chain stitch for the first row.
- When the Spiral Trellis is complete, whip the outside edge of the chain stitch with a contrasting color.
- Using Silken Pearl #5 make a long Bullion Stitch (page 18) from the round flower to the pointed bottom of the petal. I used an Extra Long Darner needle and 50 wraps, then couched in place with the same thread.
- Each leaf is a Double Cast-On Stitch (page 40) using Silken Pearl #5.
- Outline these 3 petals with Bullion Stitch and Silken Pearl #5.
Diagonal Flower Petals:
- The small circles inside the petals have 4 straight stitches from the center of the wool circle to the outside edge using Silken Pearl #5.
- Outline the circles with Back Stitch (page 10) using the same thread.
- To outline the Diagonal Flower Petals I used Silken Pearl and Back Stitch.
- Now for a fun new thread - I used Painter's Shimmer Floss from Threadnuts in a Chenille #24 needle for Palestrina Stitch (page 117) down the length of the stem.
- Beginning at the rounded end of the large top leaves, Fly Stitch (page 91) using the Shimmer Floss.
- The smaller leaves are embellished with Fly Stitch using Pearl Cotton #8.
Several friends have been a bit intimidated about stitching our next block, Marsh. No need for nervousness - both the dragonfly and frog are very easy.
If you haven't purchased a kit you will need some shimmery rayon ribbon (I bought mine at Joann) and Painter's Metallic Braid #4 from Threadnuts.